The Certificate of Procedural Phlebology
The certificate is an online exam that can be taken at any time.
It covers the basic knowledge required to practice Procedural Phlebology.
The exam contains 50 MCQ style, True / False questions with a pass mark of 75%. There is no negative marking.
Anatomy and Physiology of the Lower Limb Venous System
- Vascular Histology
- Autonomic Control of the Vasculature
- Neuro-Hormonal Vasomotor Tone
- Superficial and Deep Venous Anatomy
- Femoral Triangle
- Popliteal Fossa
- Associated Structures, Arteries and Nerves.
- Perforator Pathophysiology
- Skin Changes Secondary to Chronic Venous Hypertension
- Klippel–Trénaunay–Weber syndrome
- Investigations including Duplex Scanning
- Basic Terminology
- Doppler Principles
- Continuous Wave Doppler
- Doppler Angle
- Characterizing the Image
- Clinically indicated pre-treatment blood tests
- Thrombophilia Testing
- Risk Factors
- Clinical Applications
- Ultrasound Guided Foam Sclerotherapy
- Patient Assessment
- Compression Hosiery
- Complications and their Management
- Tessari’s Foam
- Laser vs Radiofrequency
- VNUS Closure®
- Intense Pulsed Light
- Selective Photothermolysis
- Endovenous Laser Systems
- Tumescent Anaesthesia
- Venaseal TM
The Diploma of Procedural Phlebology
Successful candidates from the Certificate of Procedural Phlebology can elect to progress to the Diploma.
The Diploma requires certified experience in Phlebology Procedures to be presented to the Board of the Society for credentialling and the award of The Diploma of Procedural Phlebology.
There are standardised NZSPP Log Books for each separate procedure requiring credentialling, documenting at least 50 such procedures and signed off by a peer or member of staff and a solicitor or Justice of the Peace.
Procedures include but are not limited to:
- Duplex Ultrasound, Lower Limb, Mapping Scan.
- Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy (with either sclerosant liquid or foam.)
- Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA)
- Endovenous Radiofrequency Ablation (e.g. VNUS Closure®, ClosureRFS®.)
- Endovenous Mechano-Chemical Ablation (e.g. Clarivein®.)
- Endovenous Adhesive Embolisation (e.g. Venaseal®.)
- Other or New Procedures with prior approval from NZSPP.
To register your interest in sitting the examination or progressing to the Diploma, please fill in the form below.
Examination Fee will be advised, once paid an email link is sent to enable candidates to complete the online Certificate.
N.B. Preparation Courses for the Certificate examination are in the planning stages and will be advised at a later date beginning in 2019.
- Vein Diagnosis and Treatment: A Comprehensive Approach. Robert A. Weiss MD, Craig Feied MD, FACEP, FAAEM, Margaret A. Weiss MD. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division, ©2001, ISBN 0-07-069201-7
- Atlas of ENDOVASCULAR VENOUS SURGERY. Jose I. Almeida MD, FACS, RPVI,RVT. Elsevier Saunders, © 2012 ISBN 978-1-4377-1790-7
- Introduction To VASCULAR SCANNING: A Guide For The Complete Beginner. Donald P. Ridgway RVT. 2nd Edition. Davis Publishing, © 1998 ISBN 0-941022-39-0
- PHLEBOLOGY, The journal of venous disease. The Royal Society of Medicine Press Ltd. (ISSN 0268-3555), www.rsmpress.co.uk